3 Common Safety Hazards That Homeowners Should Know

Safety Hazards to Watch Out for in HomesHomes are supposed to be a safe place for everyone to truly relax, and taking a bit of time to minimize hazards in and around the home can make this happen. Once homeowners know what they are looking for, they can easily neutralize the safety risks that are lurking throughout their residences. Here's what they need to seek out during this process.

Home Safety Hazard #1: Risk of Drowning

Most drowning incidents happen in a home's swimming pool. Homeowners can prevent this risk by putting up a tall pool fence with a locking gate around their pool to keep young children and pets out. It's important to always supervise kids around standing water and teach them to stay away from it unless told otherwise.

Even when kids know how to swim, they should be supervised around the water at all times.

Home Safety Hazard #2: Accidental Fires

Homes are full of fire hazards—and it's not just the kitchen where fires can begin. Fires can break out anywhere there's electricity or open flames. Overloaded surge protectors, old outlets, and damaged wiring can all cause a serious fire. Space heaters are particularly dangerous if left running unsupervised and too close to curtains, rugs, or other fabrics.

Fireplaces, wood stoves, and similar heating elements should also be closely supervised when in use. That means putting out the flames before going to bed, too.

Fires happen most often in the kitchen, however, especially while people are cooking. Grease can erupt in flames without warning, leaving everyone scrambling for a solution. Even paper towels and rags set too close to the burners can ignite in flames.

Homeowners who keep a fire extinguisher in their kitchen, garage, and other places can help mitigate this risk. It's also vital that all household members learn how to put out accidental flames and understand to never play with fire.

Home Safety Hazard #3: Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer that can strike day or night. Carbon monoxide detectors are important to have in homes and will erupt in a flurry of beeps upon detecting this dangerous, colorless gas in the air.

This gas usually flows into the household from malfunctioning water heaters, furnaces, and other appliances that use natural gas. When in good working order, these appliances should vent the gas out of the home through a pipe.

If an appliance starts leaking from other areas or the vent pipe comes apart, then the gas flows into the living space instead. Homeowners can have an expert come look at all their gas appliances to confirm they are working correctly.

Other ways to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Only using charcoal barbecues outdoors in a well-ventilated area
  • Never using portable camp stoves inside
  • Keeping generators outside when in use
  • Putting generators at least 20 feet from windows and doors
  • Avoid running vehicles or other motorized equipment in a closed garage

By avoiding these dangerous activities, homeowners can keep everyone in their household safe from carbon monoxide.

As homeowners look at the areas listed above, they can get rid of many hazards that put their household at risk of harm. It's worth repeating every year as well, especially when additional members join the household.

Post a Comment